PHYSICAL EDUCATION –
Physical Education (PE) is a subject where you can take part in and learn about physical activities. You learn about how important keeping fit is for the health of your body and mind. In some activities you work on your own and in others you work with your classmates as part of a team.
What will I learn in PE?
Some of the things you will learn include:
• how to take part in many activities, from reading maps in orienteering to doing gymnastics with a partner
• how to be part of a team, but also fun activities which you can do on your own
• why physical activity is good for you
Is learning Physical Education anything like what I did in primary school?
You have been taking part in Physical Education in primary school which has provided you with learning opportunities in athletics, dance, gymnastics, games, outdoor and adventure activities and aquatics. In junior cycle, many of the games and activities will be the same. You will get the opportunity to further improve your skills and realise how important physical activity is for you.
How will Physical Education be useful to me?
You may wish to study sport, physical education, or leisure and recreation in third level courses when you leave school. By taking part in Physical Education, you will:
• learn activities that you can enjoy outside of class and when you are older
• learn about physical activities which will help you have a healthy lifestyle.