Art, Craft & Design
In Art, Craft, Design you will have the opportunity to create images and objects using a variety of tools, materials and special equipment
What will I learn in Art, Craft, Design?
• Investigate by looking and recording your observations and experiences
• Learn a variety of new crafts
• Learn to work in 3-D e.g. construction, sculpture or clay work
• Learn about the design process and how to use It to create new design objects and images
• Learn to make links between your artwork and that of other artists, craft workers, architects and designers from different countries and historical periods.
Is Art, Craft & Design anything like what I did in primary school?
You have already been expressing your creative abilities through drawing, paint, colour, print, clay, construction, fabric and fibre in primary school. You will continue to build on these skills and you will also learn to use other tools, materials and special equipment to create images and objects. If you liked art in primary school then you will love Art, Craft & Design.
Will Art Craft Design have anything to do with other subjects I will be studying?
Art Craft Design is all around you so it links with all subjects especially: Technical Graphics, Home Economics, Technology, Materials Technology (Wood), Ethical Education, SPHE and CSPE.
Possible Career Opportunities:
Advertising, Architecture, Fashion, Design, Marketing, Printing
How is Art, Craft, Design assessed at Junior Cycle?
In Art, Craft, Design, you will be examined in two ways:
• Course-work-in third year, you will do a College-based project, chosen from a list of themes. You will research your theme, do preparatory work and complete a painting or graphic design, a craft piece, and a 3-D piece. You will relate your work to other artist’s work.
• An examination in which you will draw an object and a person.